It's allegedly to prep for the 2010 Go Congress, which I will not be attending. My rational is simply: if I had the time and money to go to Colorado Springs, I probably wouldn't spend my time inside at a go congress.
This brings up the tragic circumstances of the 25th Go Congress in 2009:
- It was the 25th, which is a round number for people who value the number of digits on their hands, assuming there are 5 each.
- It was basically in my backyard.
- Sponsored by by soon-to-be go club (although I've never attended a single meeting -- still plan on it!)
- Yet, was a few months before I picked back up on go seriously* (*casually), so I didn't know or care about it
I shall be at the tourny, and this time I shall bring a backpack fully prepared with the following items:
- FIVE t-shirts. Assuming there are 4 rounds, that is one t-shirt destroyed per round, with one to go home in. Each t-shirt will doubtlessly be clever and/or amusing to me.
- One Chronos GX Touch clock, hopefully preconfigured for tournament times, cause I can't figure that damned thing out in the time between matches. The word obtuse comes to mind (not me, the clock -- wait, maybe I do mean me)
- Power bars, at least 3. Hardly food, but will do in a pinch.
- One Netbook. Hopefully I will remember to get my G1 fixed up so I can get wireless via 3G if I have to. Wait... who am I kidding, we'll be in a basement of a GMU building. No cell, no wifi. Maybe I can study joseki or something with SmartGo (unlikely). Mostly it's there to record games in SmartGo, if I'm feeling up to it.
- Go books. Probably Go Problems for Beginners Vol 3 (please bring back into print!), maybe something else.
- Maybe some printed kifu if someone objects to netbook.